Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Don't They Ever Check Snopes?

Earlier this evening, I saw the latest scare released to the media. Why the media gives these stories the time of day, I will never know. Even the U.S. government acknowledged that this was not a credible threat.

Here's the story. Some joker posted on a website or message board that several NFL stadiums would be targeted for bombings. I'd like to give the terrorists credit for being a little more bright than that. If they were planning an attack, the last thing they'd want is to lower the body count by warning the potential victims. I guess that the FBI has to investigate everything to be safe, but the fact that the news outlets gave this any credit at all is unbelievable. Why?

The story sounds suspiciously familiar to me. Very, very, very familiar. I wouldn't be surprised if some soccer mom who believes everything (because if it's on the Internet, it must be true) got this in her inbox and posted it on a message board to "warn" everyone.