Thursday, September 28, 2006

UNholy Crap!

Any right-wingers ready to argue that Christian fundamentalists aren't comparable to Muslim fundamentalists? Get ready...

I know what you're thinking. These things can be edited in such a way to portray something any way they wish. But then I watched it again and saw where Becky Fisher, who runs the camp, says that she doesn't believe that the film has exploited the camp. She's actually helping to promote the film. So in this case, this is exactly what you think it is.

My biggest beef with the film is that it might portray all Evangelical Christians (of which I am one) as the type of people who might endorse this type of thing or even participate. That couldn't be further from the truth, as there are many moderate Evangelicals, and even those on the far right wouldn't endorse this camp.

The part that made me cringe the most? Worshiping to a picture of President Bush. In my book, that's idolatry, and while I'm not surprised, it still has a chilling effect on me. Looking at this from a religious perspective, we are well on our way to the "false religion" that Christians were warned about. I've long suspected that it would come from within Christianity. After all, wouldn't that be the perfect place to fool the most people? That's why Christians are urged by Jesus to learn the scriptures. When Jesus was tempted by Lucifer, the very thing that he used was scripture that was misrepresented.