Wednesday, October 25, 2006

COPA Gripes

The trial challenging the Child Online Protection Act began on Monday.

Among the list of gripes, those challenging the new law complain that it restricts freedom of speech. I doubt that this is the case, but I don't like lawsuits against web browsers, ISPs, and content blockers because they can't block everything. I don't like the COPA because I believe it gives parents an excuse to not pay attention to what their children are doing.

Yes, I believe that children should be protected online. I also believe that parents should be the ones who take responsibility for what their children are doing online. I never had a computer in my own room, and my daughter will not. Rather, the computers in our home are located in a more central location. There is no such thing as online privacy-- at least not until you are out of my home.

The government can only be a nanny for so long.