Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Thoughts on the Alabama 2006 Midterm Elections

Wow! I mean... Wow! I'm not sure if I should laugh or cry right now. There's so much to cover after last night's results and this morning's fallout.

I'll start with Alabama's election. Governor Bob Riley was given a second term. He's done a decent job thus far, so I can't complain. I found myself hoping that Lucy Baxley didn't miraculously pull out a win. She was starting to get on my nerves toward the end. If you've been following my blog, you'll know that I voted for Loretta Nall. I'm a little upset that I don't know exactly how many votes she received. Nobody has really reported on it.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that the people of Alabama did not elect a lobbyist as their lieutenant governor. I can't get over Jan "paid-for-by-Alabama-Power" Cook's election to the Public Service Commission. On the plus side, they didn't elect Perry "biggest-ever-fine-from-the-Ethics-Commission" Hooper, Jr.

Nasty campaign tactics turned out to be the downfall of many a Republican across this state. When Twinkle decided to call up constituents to accuse Dem candidates of supporting a gay agenda, it backfired. Three out of four Dems targeted were elected. The one candidate who lost only lost by 95 votes. Alan King and Sherri Friday both won their races, and it was in part thanks to the anger over the campaigns run by their opponents.

There was one Democrat in particular that I was not happy to see win. Larry Langford. I can't believe I have to put up with him for another term. Oh, well. At least I don't live in Jefferson County. To those of you who do, you have my sympathy. (By the way, has anyone heard about Larry's friend, Sheila Smoot, paying herself out of her campaign funding even though she's unopposed?)

Amendment Two passed with flying colors. It's good news for those areas with their own school districts. I haven't heard anything on the St. Clair County home rule bill, though.

UPDATE: Altoid links to this post here.