Thursday, September 21, 2006

Tidbits From Elsewhere - 9/21/06

President Bush will be stopping in Hoover to discuss his energy plan. I hope it's better than the last one. Perhaps the twins will join him for another chance to be on MTV. (At least I like the twins. I can't say the same for "Two-a-Days".)

Paul Hubbert says that Alabama can't afford a tax cut or a refund with the surplus that we currently have. He's right, and I agree with him as far as that is concerned. I do not agree with his reasons for not wanting a tax break. He says it will hurt the schools. Every tax we've had so far hasn't helped the schools because politicians want to give it out to other projects. What would help is a state tax overhaul that would keep annual property tax appraisals (and perhaps a higher percentage) while dumping sales tax (some of the highest in the nation) on food and clothing, among other things. We also need to cut spending on various wasteful projects (like paving a road twice in one month). Once we "fair up" our taxes, we might just end up with more. I doubt it will happen before we get I&R passed, though, because people like Hubbert like things just the way they are.

Lee P has what I believe to be the funniest thing I've ever read currently posted on his blog. Maybe it's because we fight fire ants every year at my house, and I'm looking for more interesting ways to get rid of the little buggers.

Thad has posted his final installment of his 9/11 experience. Wow!