Thursday, March 23, 2006

It's called an "ashtray"

If you smoke, learn to use one.

This is why I have such a beef with smokers at times. I have no problems with the act itself. They are, after all, your lungs. I have a problem with the fact that 99% of the smokers I know are also some of the most inconsiderate people I know. These are otherwise very polite and wonderful people to hang out with, but they also have some really bad qualities that unfortunately revolve around their habit:

  1. They "require" extra breaks at work. Those of us who choose to take better care of ourselves are forced to take up the slack in a lot of situations.
  2. They really don't care who else has to breath the smoke from their cigarettes. The general attitude is that others are free to come and go as they please. Well, not exactly. If the situation were reversed, the smoker would be free to come and go and choose to light up elsewhere. I can't choose not to breathe, so my only alternative is to not be there. As for smoking sections, I've yet to see smoke pay any attention to a sign that says it can't go past that point.
  3. They litter. A lot. That's probably the reason behind the incident cited above. Someone just flicked a butt to whatever spot was convenient. I get to watch every day as someone empties his ashtray out of the car window or throws a butt onto the side of the road. How is that okay, exactly? Most vehicles come equipped with an ashtray, and most areas have a designated garbage receptacle. I don't throw my used tampons out of my car window. Do you guys think you could possibly consider proper disposal of your refuse as well?

Now please note that this doesn't include all smokers. I happen to know of a few (a very select few) who don't fit the above description at all and are very happy smokers and very considerate people.