Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Senate Votes "Yes" on Redundancy

Okie dokie. Thus far, I've been a good girl. I've not complained-- much. Judging by the title for this post, I'd say that that is about to change.

The Senate Judiciary Committed has voted on Samuel Alito's nomination and decided... that he should be voted on. I'm well aware that this is standard procedure for everything. Things go to committees, and if they pass, they go to the full body. It's just that the full ridiculousness of all this stuff has finally hit me and taken a toll.

I guess that the good news is that this whole thing is about half over. I'm sick of hearing about it. I'm sick of seeing Ted Kennedy roll his eyes. I'm sick of hearing Jeff Sessions practically declare his undying love for all things Republican. I'm sick of Sam Alito answering the question, only not. I'm sick of hearing the same conservatives who failed to give Harriet Miers a fighting chance talk about how every nominee deserves an "up or down vote." (In fact, if I have to hear the phrase "up or down vote" one more time, I'm going to hurl from exposure to unoriginality.) I'm sick of liberals only being able to focus on Roe v. Wade and ignore any other important issues. I just want it to be over. I think that the American public has suffered through enough.

As if we don't know what's going to happen... Alito will be confirmed. Conservatives will talk about their "values." Liberals will be outraged about something. Pat Robertson will say something crazy. Jon Stewart will make fun of it. Michael Moore will gain more weight. But in the long run, nothing remotely significant will change. Isn't that pretty much how it usually goes?

Maybe once this is all over, we can get back to the interesting stuff.