Monday, July 31, 2006

UPDATE: Separation of Church and Common Sense

Thank you to Don for bringing this to my attention.

A while back, I wrote about the church in Chilton County that was not constructed according to building codes and, as a result, the roof caved in. I quote myself:

Depending on the policy, the insurance company may not pay up because building codes were not followed. If the insurance does come through, I suspect that the church will be paying some insanely high premiums from here on out.

My theory at the time was that insurance policies do not cover gross negligence, although I didn't state as much at the time. According to this article, I was right:

An insurance claim filed in Clanton, Ala. by a Chilton County church that suffered a roof collapse last month has been denied.

Maybe a lessen will be learned here. Then again, that doesn't seem to be the trend with the way the world works. As I live and breathe, somewhere in Mississippi...